Affiliated with

About us


Click to

Aston Student Homes (ASH) is owned and managed by Aston Students’ Union and is endorsed by Aston University. ASH is the official Students’ Union accommodation support service set up for the mutual benefit of private landlords/agents and Aston students. ASH is not a Lettings Agency and we do not ‘match up’ students with landlords. However, students are referred to us for all queries relating to accommodation. We have over 13,500 students. Aston University has a rapidly growing student population with numbers increasing year on year. It’s the best way for landlords to reach out to our student population.

We advertise a whole range of accommodation including large city developments, traditional houses, self-contained flats/studios, rooms in shared properties, short-term accommodation, owner occupier (Homestay properties). Our aim is to offer a wide choice and to help Aston University students in Birmingham to find good quality private accommodation.

Aston Student Homes Standards

Click to

The ASH standards is a set of property guidelines and requirements that you will need to meet in order to advertise your accommodation with us. The purpose of the standards are to ensure that registered properties all meet a minimum quality standard and is something that sets us apart from other accommodation providers.

Landlords must ensure that they not only meet property standards but also that they treat tenants in a courteous way and that their business practices are in-line with legislation.

View ASH Standards 


Useful information leaflets

View Useful Information Leaflets

Registration Fees and Pricelist

Click to

Registration period 01.08.2020 – 31.07.2021

Payment and advertising is for the Registration Year and our charges are very competitive.

Private Landlords

Number of Properties Cost (excluding VAT) Cost (including VAT)
1 (up to a max. of 14 bedrooms*) £ 58.33 £ 70.00
2-4 £ 116.67 £ 140.00
5-7 £ 170.83 £ 205.00
8-12 £ 256.67 £ 308.00

*If one property has 15 or more bed spaces it will be classed as a larger student development, e.g. a 15 bedroom property is £112.50 (£93.95 + VAT), i.e. £7.50 (£6.25 + VAT) per bed space.


Letting Agencies

Number of Properties Cost (excluding VAT) Cost (including VAT)
13-20 £ 285.00 £ 342.00
21-30 £ 358.33 £ 430.00
31 plus £ 426.67 £ 512.00


*Resident landlords
£40.00 (£33.33 + VAT) for 1 spare room
Plus £10.25 (£8.54 + VAT) per additional room up to a max. £65.00 (£54.17 + VAT), e.g. a resident LL with 4 spare rooms will be charged a max. of £65.00 inc. VAT

Larger Accommodation Providers
£7.00 (£5.83 + VAT) per bed space for the first 100 bed spaces
£3.25 (£2.71 + VAT) per bed space thereafter

Other charges
£8.00 (£6.67 + VAT) for duplicate adverts (except those advertising 36 plus)

Additional Marketing Opportunities (for Aston Student Homes registered accommodation providers only)
For other marketing opportunities such as the rolling banner at the top of the Aston Student Homes homepage or to feature your property on our homepage please click here for further details. Please email: to book or if you have any queries.

Virtual Accommodation Fair Event
Contact us to find out more.

Essential paperwork we require to advertise a property

Click to

Gas Safety Certificate
Landlords are legally responsible for ensuring gas appliances, including gas cookers and gas hobs, are maintained in good order and safety checked every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered Inspector. ASH must be given a photocopy of the current Gas Safety Certificate if your property has gas appliances. You must also issue us with a copy of the new certificate after every renewal. Landlords should also give tenants a copy of the most recent Gas Safety Certificate when they move into the property and give tenants a copy of any new certificate if and when the certificate is renewed during the tenancy. We cannot advertise your property if it has gas and does not have/has an expired certificate.

Electrical Safety Certificate
To accompany your advert, ASH asks landlords to provide proof that the house is covered by an Electricity Periodic Inspection Report that has been issued by an approved body.
For example, NICEIC Certification Services Limited

Reports must contain a schedule of test results with nothing coded 1 or 2 in the observations and recommendations box (these codes make your property unfit for tenants). These certificates are normally valid for 3 to 5 years for a student house. We will not accept certificates for more than 5 years. Completion certificates are not usually accepted as they rarely include a full schedule of test results. Visual inspections are not accepted. You also have the responsibility to ensure any electrical equipment supplied in the accommodation is safe to use.

Energy Performance Certificates
If you are a non-resident landlord, please send us a copy of your Energy Performance Certificate. You may be able to find it online here. If you don’t have one or it is expired, it can be obtained from a Domestic Energy Assessor.

Any properties that are rented out in the private rented sector need a minimum energy performance rating of E on an EPC certificate (as of 1st April 2018). This applies to all new lets and renewals and will be extended to all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020.

If a group of friends rents a property and there is a single contract between the agent/landlord and the group and the contract is for the rental of a whole dwelling then an EPC is required for the whole dwelling.

Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMO) License
What is a HMO | What is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) | Birmingham City Council

You will also need to confirm that the property has been fitted with working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as appropriate (this should be on your gas safety certificate).

Register your property(ies)


Click to

Register Online


The quickest way and most efficient way to register is online. Please email a copy of your safety certificates to We will send you an invoice by email and/or post. You can make payment over the phone, online or by cheque. Please see your invoice for details.

Click the button to register online, it’s quick and simple!


Register by Post


Print and complete the following form and post it directly to us including a copy of your safety certificates to the address shown at the bottom of this page.

pdf-img Property Form

All forms are available in .PDF format. Adobe reader is FREE to download at

Contact Us

Click to


Aston Students Homes

Ground Floor

Aston Students' Union

8 Coleshill Street


B4 7BX



0121 204 4893


Please Wait...